Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Weather Channel

My kids are obsessesd with natural disasters. Hurricanes, tornadoes, sand storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, floods...bring it on. They can't get enough of other people's life changing and usually devestating events. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or happy that I have three kids who are on track to becoming meterologists. They now actually get up in the morning and ask to watch THE WEATHER CHANNEL. Yes, you read it correctly. Sure, they enjoy Diego, Max and Ruby, and Special Agent Oso, but they're first request is to see the weather. They get excited to hear about upcoming storms and have now learned how hurricanes are named.

This past week has been their "Dream Week" of disasters with Hurricane Irene rolling through here. Just a couple days prior to that, we felt the effects of the Virginia earthquake. And, we've had a lot of lightning storms here, one in which, actually struck a neighbor's house and burned it down. To go on, my old neighbor, Kellie, posted a bunch of pictures of the horrible sandstorm that blew through YPG this past week. The kids were "excited" to see pictures of our old neighborhood, street, and overall damage. Crazy, I tell you.

Today, I found out that Luke's soccer team is The Hurricanes. Awesome. He was over the moon excited, as I didn't think anything could top his team name from last year, The Dust Devils (lots of those in Yuma).

Ahhh, I'd better brush up on my knowledge of barametric pressure and such. I'm sure as they really pay attention to the weather on tv, they'll be asking a lot more in-depth questions. I love their curiosity and interest, but it's a little embarassing to hear them excited about approaching storms.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is better they are excited then being scared of storms as many children are! But yes it is odd that they have such a fascination with natural disasters!!

    ReplyDelete