To finish up the postings from our Tennessee/North Carolina trip, I should have had pictures from our return trip. I don't. Why? Try flying with three kids by yourself, haha.
People ask me if I'm crazy for flying alone with a one, three, and five year old like I have much choice. We're in the Army; that's what you have to do! Edward reminded me of a comment made on one of our favorite shows, Modern Family, where Claire talks of vacationing with all the kids and says something to the effect of 'I'm the Mom...this is no vacation; it's a business trip. Kids are my business.' I know that's not the exact wording, but you get the gist.
Thankfully, our flights went smoothly with no delays or issues. My biggest headache was changing concourses in Atlanta with the kids. I've flown through ATL many, many times, so I know the airport, but navigating with the three, a double stroller, a carseat, two kids' backpacks, a purse, diaper bag, and small extra carry on...fun, fun. Let's not forget that I can't just hop on an escalator...elevators only for my stroller and load. Plus, it seemed like there was literally one elevator in the whole place with a line to match. The kids loved the train at ATL, but surprise surprise, when I had to go from Concourse A to Concourse E (furthest one), and then I was at Gate 32 (furthest gate). I was literally at the end of the airport.
My biggest complaint is that even after I asked, the Delta flight attendants wouldn't help me. I was told, "It's not my section," as I tried to lug my kids and all that other stuff (carseat included) on the plane. The only offer of help all day was from a sweet old lady who probably needed more help getting on and off than we did. I'm not one to ask for help, but sadly when I did that day, it didn't happen. We made it home anyways.
Best idea of the trip=buying Alex a seat on the plane. While the cost wasn't the "PRICELESS" like on the tv commercials, it was priceless for my sanity. I'd like to say he slept in his carseat the whole way back, but in the six hours of air travel, he slept about 20 minutes. I think he ate the rest of the time :) I loved it when, at check-in, I was told my seats weren't together. I told the lady I needed four seats together, at least in the same row. She said she didn't know if she could make it happen, so I told her that was no problem as long as the other passengers didn't mind taking care of my one, three, and five year olds...she said, "Give me a minute." Less than a minute later, the miracle worker informed me we were all seated together...well, for our first flight. The second flight, I was told to work it out myself by the same "lovely" flight attendants.
So, we're back safe and sound...1 Mom, 3 kids, 1 double stroller, 3 carseats, 2 bags weighing in at 50 lbs and 49 lbs (thanks to the sale I found at Children's Place), 2 kids' backpacks, 1 diaper bag, 1 purse, and 1 small carry-on (food stuff-because the sip of drink and small pack of peanuts just wouldn't hold my crew for six hours).
Edward picked us up curbside in Phoenix (yea!!), and after a "late" dinner (it was at 6:30, but to the kids and me, it felt like 9:30), we drove the three hours home.
This week, Edward is getting ready to go to a course for three weeks in Mississippi (I should work on teaching Madison how to spell that while he's gone), so let the fun continue!
And Then We Laughed
8 years ago
I totally felt your pain when you said you were flying back alone. I HATE ATL with a passion because I always have issues there. Last time I was there one of the elevators was not working and there were 6 people in wheel chairs in line. I took Lily out of the stroller, folded it up and we went down the escalator. Stroller in one hand, backpack on back, Lily in other hand and Jena holding the railing. I had 30 minutes to make my flight. I couldn't have done that with three! Good times. Glad you made it home. Good luck while Edward is away.
ReplyDelete