Monday, July 19, 2010

The Beach on Coronado

Awhile back, we made plans for a family vacation to San Diego. Well, the Army had other plans. Edward got a slot in a course for three weeks in Mississippi, so we had to cancel our trip. To salvage a couple of days, Edward was able to get his flight out of San Diego. Wednesday after work, we took off for a couple of days in sunny Southern California.

We spent all day Thursday at the beach...our favorite beach again on the North Island Naval Base at Coronado. After watching the evening news, we discovered that this day broke the records for heat. It got up to 98 (sadly, around 20 degrees cooler than Yuma!).


Alex was very excited to eat, I mean, play in the sand.








I try to get a picture of all three of them everywhere, but I just can't get them all to look!




Okay, so they are all looking, but Alex looks like he's been screeching (probably was). He is part baby/part Velociraptor with his screeching these days. It's VERY annoying, and if people don't think I notice it, I do...problem is, what can I do right now?? It's not like he understands it when you say, "Alex don't scream."




You probably can't see it, but Alex is COVERED in sand.


One of the best parts of the beach, for the kids, is the constant air traffic overhead. Planes and helicopters land and take-off constantly. Each time, it's like the first time they've ever seen an object in the sky.




Luke loved the water. He kept "swimming" in ankle deep water.





View of the Coronado Bay Bridge and the mountains of Tijuana, Mexico in the background.


Okay, so this was hilarious. Luke was eating a snack of cheese puffed popcorn (like a cheeto). We told him not to take it back by the seagulls, but he wanted to "run them off." So, he paid the seagulls a visit.


And, the seagulls "thanked" Luke for coming. Seagulls-1, Luke-0...I think they enjoyed his snack.

We were able to get a picture of the seagull walking off with his snack. It was really funny, even though he started crying saying, "The bad seagulls stole my snack."


Back at the sandcastle display...








See what I mean?


Seriously, the runway is across the street from the beach.





Alex was obsessed with the kids' beach chairs. He thought he was big stuff by stealing an empty drink box and trying to drink it.


Boche ball



Alex is really concentrating.





I had to help out with the sandcastles for a bit.










In addition to airplanes and helicopters, Coronado entertains us with the battleships, a.ka. to Luke as "soldier boats" coming and going. This one was coming into port.




Riding the waves








The kids are actually starting to get daring enough to go in the water! Next time, we'll have to bring their life jackets. They are finally going in past their ankles!


Beach bum baby...tired after a full day!

1 comment: