Sunday, August 11, 2013

St. Augustine Alligator Farm

Our kids love gators. They watch Gator Boys all the time on t.v. (which they think is awesome that Edward and I lived down the road from their habitat and visited there several times), and they have a big interest in science.  When we first started planning our trip to Florida, the kids came across the Alligator Farm in the AAA tour book, and very quickly, it was decided that we would go.  They have been looking forward to visiting this place for months, so on Wednesday morning, we were off.  Grandma and Grandpa went off to do some shopping on their own, so the kids and I went in search of gators.
 


 Just like on Gator Boys



 Albino alligator

 Gators everywhere!




 The kids really enjoyed getting so close to the gators.






 Luke wanted to pose by some of the Australian critters.  Part of the first grade curriculum at school is the study of Australia and New Zealand.

 Alex with one of the crocodiles


I started talking to a local birdwatcher, and he told me that mating season started in February. From February to June, he said you could not see the tree limbs; the birds were everywhere.  Now, just a few are left with their nests.

 This was so cool!  We witnessed an alligator fight!  You can only see part of it in action right now.  The gator in the background is actually walking/stalking out the other gator.  Quickly, they were wrestling and fighting each other.  It only lasted a few seconds, but it was really interesting.

 "I won."

 We also really enjoyed this walking path over the swamp area.  The farm was setup very well with different continents' critters housed in different areas. This huge swap went around about a quarter of the property.  You could walk along and just watch hundreds of gators in the water.  The kids enjoyed feeding them too.  There were pellets of food available along the path.


 We loved the turtle.








 
 
 
 
 
Alex purchased this at the Alligator Farm. He loves the snake.  I keep finding it in his bed.
 
I would highly recommend a visit to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm.  It was very educational, extremely clean, and enjoyable.  We went first thing in the morning before the heat of the day, and I am glad we did.  It was empty that early in the morning (they open at 9), but by the time we left, just after 11, it was getting pretty busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment