Saturday, September 18, 2010

And the World Stopped Turning

It wouldn't be right if I didn't comment on the ending of one of the longest running soap operas in history, As the World Turns. From an early age, even younger than Madison, I remember watching it with my mom. She watched/listened to it (first started on the radio) with her mom when it began 54 years ago. 54 years for a show to run...how amazing. As the World Turns has been part of my whole life. Some make fun of soaps for being cheesy, but hey, they are better than a lot of the stuff on now. Plus, soaps, unlike other shows, never have re-runs, never have a season ending, and never quit with the storylines.

I'll definitely miss all the characters of Oakdale...the Hughes, Snyder, Walsh, Ryan/Stenbeck families. It's amazing to me that some characters/actors from the start were still on at the end...that's a great show. You might say it's silly, but how many get wrapped up in other sitcoms and dramas on tv? Those who love shows such as Friends, Seinfeld, The Office, Grey's Anatomy...yes, everyone is probably guilty of a "don't want it to end" type of show. Imagine one ending that you have watched EVERY weekday since you were old enough to remember.

I know I'll never look at the 2:00 PM timeslot the same way. Even living here in Arizona where it wasn't on at 2:00,I still would catch myself looking at the clock thinking it was on somewhere. Mom and I would even discuss plots and predictions of charcters, and I sometimes got the occassional call from her to "Make sure you watch ATWT today...it was a good one." And, you might ask what is going to fill that timeslot? A talkshow. A talkshow that I can guarantee won't run 54 years.

Nothing has stopped me from watching the show...VCRS were helpful during high school, college, and work. With not having local channels in Arizona (don't ask...too remote here), the Internet has allowed me to watch it daily.

I guess it shows how much my whole family knew of As the World Turns...even my brother, Clay, deployed in Afghanistan, sent me an email with a story link about the ending of the show.

And yes, someone commented that I still had Young and the Restless to watch. True, but not quite the same. I haven't been watching it nearly as long, "only" 15-20 years or so :)

Goodbye As the World Turns. Thanks for being part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment