Sunday, April 24, 2011

Shopping with the Kids

Who says you can't get good deals with the kids in tow (I do sometimes!)? Today, I had a really amazing shopping trip with the kids. I had a ton of coupons etc. for items, I knew the sales, I had a plan, and I was only getting what was on the list. Check out what I got for FREE!!!


Close Up-Color Wonder, two lamps, drop cloth, sunscreen, toothpaste, paint edger, 2 packs of paint edger refills, pencil case, notecards, two notepads, two Crayola twistables, two writing tablets, VTech game, diapers, a cooler, and a globe.


I had a wonderful trip into town today, even with all three kids in tow! We ended up running errands/shopping for about five hours. No clothing type of purchases were made; this shopping trip turned into "What else will be free?" EVERYTHING you see in the picture was completely free.



So, to start...the cooler. I went to Lowes. Now, the beginning of March, Lowes ran a promo that if you bought a giftcard over $500, on the 17th of March, they would add 10% to it, as a tax rebate incentive. Well, we just had to buy a fridge for our new house, and Lowes had the one we wanted. So, I bought a giftcard for the amount of the fridge, and I got a TON of money back, all free just for doing their giftcard incentive. Today, I went to Lowes for a few paint supplies. Edward is flying to NC this week and hopes to paint a couple of rooms in our new house after we close (pray all goes well!). I wanted to get a drop cloth and edger for him to just pack in his bag. We already have a roller, etc. So, as I walk in, they have Igloo Coolers right at the front. We need a new huge one for the move. Our handle keeps breaking and is just done. I've been pricing them, and they are around $50-$60 for what we want. Lowes had it for $33!!!! Into the cart it went, along with the edger, edger refills, paint cloths, and dropcloth. Total at checkout was $55. They took off 10% for my military discount, and then I handed them the giftcard. It had a zero balance after the fridge purchase, but I did get that 10% added, and I owed nothing today!!! That 10% was on there, and I still have A LOT leftover to spend, probably on mulch for the NC house.



Toys R Us-So, amazing sales at Toys R Us. The VTech toy was buy one, get one free. So, that's the free toy. Crayola Colorwonders were also buy one, get one free. These will be great in the car on the move.



Hallmark-I had several coupons recently sent to me. One was for 20% off since April is my birthday month. They also sent me a $2 and a $3 coupon. The notecards were $5, and I used my coupons on them. I also bought a couple of cards and a recordable storybook,not free but I did get 20% off (for Edward to read before he goes to Afghanistan).



Walgreens-Tons of good deals at Walgreens. I was bummed they were sold out of the headbands that were free for Madison. I had register rewards to use, and so I got the diapers free (also had coupons), the sunscreen, and the two notepads (clearance at .74). The Colgate was buy one, get one free, and I had a coupon for the one that wasn't free. I also walked out with another $3 in rewards to use.



Staples-I LOVE this store!!!!!! Seriously, get on the Staples bandwagon!!!!!!! So, I had $45, yes $45 in rewards to use there!!!!! Some was from ink cartridge recycling, and some was from other purchases and you get money back. Plus, I bought batteries awhile ago, and those produced approximately $12 rewards. So, I went in looking for a globe. The kids are interestsed in the world, and I have been looking at them everywhere. Most are $40. I was prepared for that, knowing I had $45 in rewards. They had a great one, and it was $19.99! Score!!! So, as the kids and I walked the store, we walked past the clearance table. There were two desk lamps on it, and they were super cute in a pewter finish. We are getting the kids two desks when we move for homework and art projects. I was excited the lamps were marked at $9.50, down from $30. I snagged up both of them, and when I got to the register, I said, "Those were on the clearance table, and I just wanted to make sure they rang up as they say." The girl was super nice, and said, "Oh sure, of course." She price checked them, and said, 'Ummm, these aren't $9.50. They are now $2.50 EACH!!!!!!! Holy cow Batman!! Plus, don't forget all my rewards to spend!!! Thinking and packing for the cross-country move, we also picked up two packs of Crayola twistable crayons, two packs of primary writing paper (also on the clearance table for .50 from 3.99), and a pencil case for Luke. I walked out the door, not paying a dime, with a $10 credit still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THAT STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






I must say that I'm sure someone will say, "Well, that just takes too much time and effort. Okay, go with that. I just saved over $150 on stuff I actually need. I'm not some crazy person who goes nuts. I just put a little time in to figure out deals and the best way to work them. I probably spend an hour or two a week on it, and I figure it's my "job." I can't make money, so I save it. Poke fun at it if you want. I know some in our family probably think I'm crazy. My credit cards took a rest today.

1 comment: