Saturday, March 30, 2013

Second Graders and the NC Zoo

Wednesday was bitter sweet.  We all know the day didn't end well with Edward heading off to Afghanistan. Well, the majority of the day was fun, as I chaperoned Madison's field trip to the zoo. The field trip info came home the beginning of February, and at that time, I told Edward that, jokingly, he'd for sure leave on that day...yeah.  He did.  So, I chaperoned the field trip. Madison has been looking forward to this all year.  I love her teacher, and her teacher (such a planner), had asked me to chaperone last fall.  Anyways, it was a VERY cold and windy day at the zoo, but it was beautiful. The second grade took charter buses, and with that, some parents had to drive themselves. I opted to drive, and my neighbor Amy rode along with me.  She was a great friend and good at keeping my mind off the rest of the day.
 
The kids ate their lunches when we got to the zoo. By bus, it was a two-hour drive. After they finished lunch, we were put into our groups. Madison's teacher allowed the kids who had parents chaperoning to pick the kids for their groups. All of the classes are small at the kids' school, so our group just had three kids.  Now, some might be surprised to know Madison chose two boys, but she really enjoys hanging around these boys. Think about it...she has two brothers as well.  Anyways, she picked Nicholas and Frankie to be in our group. They were so much fun.  She is with them at school all day.  They are in the same reading/math groups, go to G/T together, and they sit together.  I must say she has great taste because I had a great time with this trio.
 
 Here's the crew sitting on each other in a rowboat display.  Madison, Frankie, and Nicholas.  They are all upset Frankie is moving this summer.  Nicholas just moved here this year, so hopefully, he'll be around at least another couple of years too.

 Of everything all day, I think the crew enjoyed the gators the most.  Not many were out due to the temps.


 Climbing a play spider web

 The bunny ears obsession continues with each generation.

Here's Madison's class with her teacher at the back. Love, love, love her teacher. Mrs. Idjao is originally from the Philippines, so the kids have learned some very cool things about Asia.
 
Now, I have to point out the highlights of the day with my group.  There is an indoor Sonoran Desert habitat.  The boys, knowing we had lived there, said anyone who chose to live in the Sonoran Desert (without the Army telling them to) was crazy because it was too hot and dry.
 
The funniest part of the day involved food and the gift shop. After the Sonoran Desert the kids were "SO" thirsty.  Luckily, food was nearby. The trio all ordered Coke or Sprite to drink.  As we sat down to enjoy our beverages, all three said, "This is so awesome. None of us are EVER allowed to order Coke anywhere!"  The boys told me they wouldn't tell their moms they had Cokes, but I quickly reminded Nicholas I knew his mom and would see her at preschool in the morning :)  The three very much enjoyed their forbidden drinks. 
 
My very favorite moment was at the gift shop. Nicholas only had two dollars left to spend after his forbidden beverage.  He looked and looked, really wanting this wooden snake.  It was $4.99. All of a sudden, he looked up at me, perked up and said, "MILITARY DISCOUNT!!"  Oh, it was so funny.  Only a true military kid would think of asking for the military discount. So, I stood back and watched as he went up to the cashier, a sweet grandma-type, and asked her. She worked hard not to laugh.  She said they did have a discount, and he told her, "I would like the snake for $4.99.  I have $2 and would also like a military discount.  Is that enough?"  It was so sweet, and props to the cashier for telling him it was just fine (at that point I was ready to cover the difference).  Loved it.  Now, it was even funnier as Frankie, who is not a military kid, walked up to the cashier and said, "Do you have the heart discount?"  She was confused..."Do you have the heart to give me a discount?"  Yeah, he earned a discount too.  Funny moment.  Loved it.  We laughed about it the rest of the day.  Their teacher thought it was hiliarious too.

No comments:

Post a Comment