Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Blizzard of '13

By the news reports on Friday, you would have thought North Carolina had an all-out blizzard.  The news was on the air straight from 3PM-7PM with "continuing winter storm coverage." Seriously??  Okay, this Ohio girl thought it was a bit too much.
 
Now, I know that the South doesn't have much snow and therefore, doesn't have a lot of snow plows, etc.  I grew up in rural "snowbelt" Ohio, right off Lake Erie. We had snow...lots of it all winter, every winter.  I've lived in the South long enough that if you metion snow, all the bread, milk, and eggs will be off the shelves at the store. 
 
While Raleigh got a bit more rain/ice than we did, it wasn't much.  We're just an hour south or Raleigh.  We ended up with an official recording of .01 inch of rain...that's it.  It was enough to send the kids home two hours early from school (not a problem, as the schools were trying to be safe and pro-active before the storm hit-as I said, listening to the news, anyone would have called off school). It was also enough to cancel EVERYTHING both Friday AND Saturday.  Wow.  By 10AM Saturday, everything was melted.
 
Here's our dusting of rain (it really was barely enough to get the cars wet, but what rain did fall, froze at our 29 degrees).
 
Edward's hood/windshiedl with its dusting of rain. 
 
I'm very glad we made it through the blizzard.  Actually, the kids really wanted snow, and I wanted to see some too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment