Saturday, January 19, 2013

Basketball

I know these pictures are not very good at all, but I forgot my camera.  Since Edward is away for the month and can't see the games, I wanted to post something for the week. I'll take the camera next week.
 
Madison started playing basketball this year.  It is the first year she is elgible for league play (ages 7 and 8 year old girls), and she was very interested in playing. In fact, she came to us and asked to play.  While Edward and I LOVE sports, basketball is one of our least favorite.  However, we're glad to support any sports' endeavor.  So, Madison is on the Badgers with six other girls.  While practice is five minutes away at our local rec center, our games are across town at another rec center due to the fact that there are only seven girls teams for the whole city spread out at the different rec centers.  Most rec centers only have enough girls for one team, but Stoney Point, our rec center actually has two girls' teams.  They practice at the same time, opposite ends of the court, and it is really nice.  They usually hold a scrimmage the last few minutes of practice, so the girls are really getting an understanding of basketball.
 
Today's game...Well, of course, when Edward is away, activites for Madison and Luke always seem to be at the EXACT SAME TIME.  Yes, they were today.  Luke is too young for a league, but for ages five and six, they offer six instructional skills' workshops.  All are on Saturday mornings, but parents are required to stay, and they are back across town by our house...not a problem if we weren't playing on the other side of town.  So, today, I sent Luke with our neighbor, whose son is doing the instructional class too.  It was easier to send him with a friend than to find a parent to get Madison to her game.  So, Alex, Madison, and I went to her game.  It was at 11.  Because of games before hers going long, her game didn't start until 11:30, which was a major problem for getting Luke.  I had told my neighbor I would get Luke at the class after Madison's game, but with her game delayed, that was going to mess things up.  Now, Luke could have gone home with our neighbor, but that would have messed up my errands, and I told Luke I would be there to see him.  He really wanted me to come.  So, I watched Madison start the game, and finally, when she came out on the bench for a bit, Alex and I flew across town to get Luke.  Luke was all smiles, happy, and ready to go, so we left his class a little early to get back to Madison's game.  We got back to her game in time to watch the fourth period, and after we sat down next to one of the mom's, she said, "That was an awesome basket Madison scored."  UGGGHHHH!!!!  Seriously!!!  She thought I'd taken the boys the bathroom, but I told her what was going on, and she said in the second period, Madison scored the first basket of the game, which was also Madison's first basket ever.  Could I feel any worse???
 
Why is it when I try so hard to make sure all is covered, I still miss the big stuff?  I know I am one parent; I tell the kids that all the time, and they know it too. They know we might have to miss a practice, game, event, etc, sometimes because I'm one and they are three.  They are okay with that, but I'm not okay with missing the ONE big thing she has done.  She's never played before; she's never scored before, and I missed it.  I told her I was so proud of her and all, but still, I missed it, and that was her only basket of the game (in all fairness, they won 6-4).  These are the times I hate doing this alone, the times I feel like I wasn't there for my kids.

 At the first game, the girls didn't even know what a tip-off was.  They also had to take time to line the girls up and explain a foul shot. It's been sweet watching the girls all try and figure basketball out.



Luke was so in tune to his class, he didn't want to smile for a picture.

1 comment:

  1. Martha, you are an incredible Mom!!!! When Madison is grown, she will remember how she played basektball and the fun she had with her friends. Please do not beat yourself up over the little things, when in reality you are a Super-Mom who is creating wonderful memories for your kids. I'm always amazed at all that you do. Carin

    ReplyDelete