Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Rest of our Wilmington Trip

Before Thanksgiving, we spent a weekend in Wilmington.  My camera battery died, but my mom had taken several nice pictures.  Here they are.
 
 Edward was working in the ER, so the kids, my parents, and I went to take a hike at Carolina Beach State Park.  We walk there all the time, but this time, the water was the highest any of us had ever seen due to Hurrican Sandy.  It just hadn't gone down yet, everywhere out at Carolina Beach. Mom and Dad have talked to several friends who live around town, and people haven't seen the water this high before (except for during hurricanes).

 We started our walk, but we quickly had to turn around.  The water was so high, it had come up onto the walking path, so high we had never had it cover the path.  In fact, we normally have a picnic to the right, out on the beach part, and that was completely under water.  The nice big log we sit on wasn't even visible.



 You can see the water behind the kids.

 Now, this picture comes with a story.  As we were walking back to the car from the trail, we came across a section that had not been flooded when we walked past it before.  Well, with the tide coming in, it had created a small stream, flooding another area.  The stream was too big for the kids to just jump acorss (we're only talking about a period of 15 minutes).  So, my dad said that he would go across and I could hand the kids to him.  No problem. So, we started with Madison, and to this day, none of us know how she ended up with her back in the water, but she did. She had my hand, and she had my dad's hand.  All of a sudden, she's in the water.  It's all my strength to keep myself out of the water, well from falling in.  All I know is finally I had to step into the water, which was almost knee deep at this point, and I somehow vaulted Madison out of the water.  All of this took place in a matter of about 10 seconds, but it seemed like slow motion.  Then, we had a very wet Madison on a very cold, windy day, and I had wet pants and shoes.  I couldn't stop laughing the rest of the way back to the car, and luckily I plan for outings and had an extra change of clothing in my parents' car for Madison.  Now, I still had wet pants, but my mom keeps some running shoes in her car, and while my feet are now bigger than hers, I was more than happy to wear her running shoes  :)  At least this was funny unlike Alex's Arctic water fall at Denali this past summer.

 A clean and dry Madison at Fort Fisher...this was the battle for the last open Confederate port.  Madison is really interested in the Civil War, so we wanted to take her to this battle where 2000 died.  It's right by Carolina Beach State Park in Wilmington, so it was the perfect place to stop.  The kids all really enjoyed going there and learning about the battle.

 Hard to believe this was such a bloodshed during the Civil War.  It's calm and beautiful out toward the Cape Fear River (behind us) and the beach (in front of us).


 Madison is in my coat since hers got soaked in the fall.

They couldn't believe how big the cannons were and how hard they would have been to move.
 
Thanks for going there with us, Mom and Dad.  And a special thanks, Mom, for the dry socks and shoes  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment