Saturday, January 28, 2012

Local Fruits and Veggies

A few weeks ago, I found out about Carolina Grown, a local door to door fruit, veggie, and "other" service.  It's basically like a Farmer's Market delivered to your door.  Each week, you log onto their site, order your stuff, and it comes on Saturday.  What I like is that it's all local, grown here in NC (or baked).  Fayetteville doesn't have a great Farmer's Market, etc., but most of the stuff I ordered comes from around the Raleigh area.  Right now, even with very few fruits and veggies available, they have a lot of greenhouse grown stuff, including the strawberries. They buy from a lot of different farmers, local bakeries, etc.  Last week, the strawberries came around 2:00, and they were all eaten (two cartons) by 4:00.  This is my order for this week:  sweet potatoes, red potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, French rolls, and sourdough bread.  We're still trying things out (especially the different bread), but we're very excited for the fruit and veggie season to really pick up soon.  We're almost out of my local Yuma honey I bought at our church's farmer's market (held weekly during the winters when we lived there), so I'm sure I'll be ordering some of their local honey in the next week or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment