Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mowing, Bugs, and Tennis Shoes

The kids and I were in the backyard yesterday.  If you have been to our house, you know we don't have a very big backyard.  Nonetheless, we do have a nice patch of green grass in our Arizona rock yard.  It's fenced in, so I appreciate it keeps my kids in and most varments out.  Plus, the Army is nice enough to have great parks all over the post (including directly behind our backyard).

Anyways, I was mowing the grass.  Usually here, Edward mows the grass.  No reason.  I really like mowing, but I'm usually taking care of the little people in my life.  Even though Edward is gone, the grass still needs cut!  Here's the conversation:

Me:  "Let's go outside guys.  Mommy is going to mow the grass, and you can all play and watch."

Madison:  "Mommy, do you know how to mow?"

Me:  "Yes, Madison, I do.  I used to mow a lot when I was a kid."

Madison:  "Well, Daddy always cuts the grass.  Are your sure?"  (Not remembering I cut the grass A LOT when we lived in North Carolina).

Me:  "Yes, Madison.  I promise I know how to cut the grass."

She was totally awed when I 1) knew what the lawn mower was, 2) was able to get it started on the first try, and 3) that the mower DID actually cut the grass as I predicted I could with it.


On the same topic...I tell ya, it was a funny evening...

I had stopped mowing for a few minutes to readjust the picnic table.  The kids were talking my ear off, no shock, when all of a sudden, Luke yelled, "Mommy, it's a BIG BUG!" 

Now, hearing either Madison or Luke yell a big bug is no surprise.  The think everything is a big bug.  I kind of started to shrug it off, and as I glanced down, I saw a hornet on my leg!  I brushed it off quickly.  It didn't sting me, but it left a little mark. When I told Edward he told me to put a cream on it we have, and I reminded him that wasn't a good idea while the kids were still awake.  Any cream/band aid on me would require hours of explaining and rehashing, so I opted to just deal with it.  Ahh, the things for kids.

Thanks, buddy!  Glad I didn't get stung.

And, more of the story...

As I was still working in the yard, Luke kept asking me if I was going running.  I put on my tennis shoes to cut the grass, and he was freaked out by this for some reason. Tennis shoes = running and only running.  He just couldn't get off the idea I wasn't going for a run.  I came inside after I finished to put dinner on, and even then, he asked if I was going to run on the treadmill.  Quickly, the shoes came off!  I couldn't let him go on and on and on about the shoes.  Ahhh!

My parents are flying in to San Diego today...good thing, as you can see I need some normal, adult conversation!

1 comment:

  1. How funny. I recently had the same encounter with Jena when I cut the grass at our house. She insisted I wait and let Roger do it because he would get mad. So funny.

    ReplyDelete