Saturday, July 27, 2013

Camp Rockfish

Madison and Luke attended their first sleep-away camp this past week.  This was the first time they have been away from home and not with other family members.  Both were so excited to go to camp and have been waiting for this week all summer.  Sunday after church, we loaded up for the long (10 minute) drive out to camp.



 This was Madison's cabin. She absolutely loved being with all the girls in there all week. 

 Luke was VERY excited to be around guys all week.  I'm really glad that he had such a nice counselor, especially with Edward being gone right now.  His counselor was really nice, and Luke loved spending the week with him. Both Madison and Luke picked the top bunks in their cabins.

 Once Luke got his bunk bed setup, he was ready for me to leave. 


 Alex and I said good-bye to our buddy.

Yes, his cabin was that close to the lake. Guess what kid was SO excited to hunt lizards and such?

Then, we checked on Madison.  She had already made up her bed and changed into her swimsuit.  She was also ready for us to leave. 
 
I am happy to report both kids had an awesome time.  Luke's camp was only half the week, due to his age. He was only upset that he wasn't staying the whole week.  He loved it very much and cannot wait to go back next summer.
 
We picked up Madison last night, all smiles.  She said she just had a wonderful week. Her biggest complaint is being tired, but other than that, she LOVED every minute.  Like Luke, she cannot wait to go back next summer. 
 
I'm really happy that both kids were so excited about camp. I did not bring up sleep-away camp; they both did.  After being at daycamp at Rockfish last summer for a week, they heard about sleep-away camp.  Both begged to go, and after talking to them about being away from home, it seemed like they were ready. I'm so proud of them. They are really showing what strong, independent, kids they are.  A lot of their strength and resilience comes from being military kids and having to "stand strong" all the time, especially now with two deployments in the last two years.  I want our kids to be strong, and I was so impressed with their attitude after their camping experience.  I asked the kids if they missed home, and both said, "You told us to remember when we missed home that the house was only 10 minutes away.  You (myself) and Alex were at the house, and everything was okay.  If Daddy go could away for months, we could do a few days."  Wow, what great kids!!  Not only did they "survive," they thrived!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment