August 16, 2010...First Day of Kindergarten!

It was a "cool" 90 degrees with 60% percent humidity at 7:30 as we left for school.

Big girl and SO excited!


Luke was excited too. He wanted to see Madison's new school.

After our short walk from the house, we arrived at her classroom. The kids were all really excited and enjoyed playing on the playground before school began.

I think this is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! Madison's teacher, Mrs. Irwin, bought a wagon to put all of the kids' lunches in. I guess the lunches are wheeled down to the cafeteria first thing in the morning to keep them cold and such, and she didn't like the bins others were getting to haul them in, so here's the wagon. What a great idea! It was so cute seeing all of their lunches show up in the wagon. Now, while this is a PUBLIC school (no, it's on an Army base and not a DOD-Department of Defense School), they don't have a kitchen in the cafeteria! It's like it's 1950! Now, the school was probably built then, but all kids have to bring a lunch. It's totally fine with me, as I would have packed her lunch anyways, but seriously, what about kids that qualify for a free or reduced lunch like anywhere else? I can't believe a school can NOT have to provide lunch for kids who might need it. Anyways, I guess it works well.

8:00, bell rings, time to line up for school! There are 18 in kindergarten (just one class...small post!). Of the 18, 15 were in preschool with Madison, so she knows just about everyone. Here, all of these were in her preschool class: Chase, Samantha, Tiara, Madison, and Dorian. Most of them were in swim lessons too, haha...it's nice living on a small base with little kids!

Heading into her class...that's her teacher, Mrs. Irwin.

Mrs. Irwin didn't assign seats yet, as she wanted the kids to be comfortable for a few days (plus, she wanted to see who they hung out with!). Madison is seated between her friends Tiara and Samantha. I think there are only four or five boys in the class, so it will be interesting!
Oh, and Madison did remember that today was her friend, Cassandra's 5th birthday back in North Carolina. She has know that for a long time, that her first day of school was also Cassandra's birthday, so Jen, make sure you tell Cassandra to have a great birthday!!!! Wish we could be there for her party!
Way to go Madison!
ReplyDeleteI am sure she is super excited!! Hope it continues to go great!
ReplyDelete