Friday, May 11, 2012

The Butterfly Habitat

Luke was given a butterfly habitat for Christmas, and we waited until now to "grow" our butterflies.  While we had a mild winter, I was always afraid to order our larvae, thinking it would surely get cold  Well, now that it's warm for good, the larvae were ordered. They came in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

 Luke with the package.  I kept telling him not to shake it.




Checking them out...since this picture, they have tripled in size, formed their chrysalis, and they are in the process of becoming butterflies. I moved them into their "habitat" to wait for the transformation.  Luke has LOVED every minute of the process.  He checks on them multiple times during the day (as he does with the veggies growing in the garden).  He can't wait for the butterflies to emerge.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see how this turns out for you. We received a butterfly kit from some friends from Christmas as well. I keep meaning to order the larvae and just haven't gotten around to it yet. Once you receive them is it a pretty easy process? How many of your larvae survived and formed a chrysalis? Anna

    ReplyDelete