Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Planting


We spent the weekend working in the yard.  With temps in the upper 80's we felt more like we were in Arizona than in North Carolina.  Our vegetable gardens have expanded from two raised beds to four.  We planted our fruits and veggies, and now the wait begins.  We also spent a lot of time weeding and putting down mulch.  Edward and the kids finished up the garden planting from where I left off earlier.



 I cleaned up the area around our air conditioner units and put these gardens in yesterday. 



This garden might look a little bare, but I'm waiting for the tropicanas to be ready to plant.  The weather is still questionable. Tropicanas love water, so they grow really well near a/c units.  We grew tons of these at our house in Florida, and they are still one of our favorite flowering plants.


 Vegetable garden area-We put in tomatoes, half runner beans, corn, cucumbers, acorn squash, cantaloupe, okra, and red/green peppers.  We found that watermelon didn't grow well here, so we learned our lesson about planting for that.



 Garden all cleaned up at the bottom of our back stairs



 I love the spring colors.



Our blueberry bush is getting blossoms on it. I hope it produces blueberries.  We are also trying raspberry bushes, so we'll see how the fruits do at our house.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to do some of that same stuff. We are now probably moving at the beginning of June (possibly at the end of May) so I may be able to get a few things in the ground this year. If not, for sure next year. I can't wait to have a garden!

    ReplyDelete